Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Breastfeeding Warriors and Weigh-in Wednesday

I will start with the good news - I am down another pound!
As excited as I am to be losing some weight, it still seems like my goal is so far away.
I did change my apps up a bit and convinced my sister to join MyFitnessPal. I figured this would be a way to keep us both a little more accountable. I deleted the Waterlogged app because I needed more room for Marlee pictures and MyFitnessPal has a water counter all ready built right in!

I mean who doesn't want more Marlee pictures?!


I have been a little annoyed lately with some breastfeeding posts I have been reading lately. I find them either on Facebook, Google +, or even through Yahoo. I always read them because I think I can learn something new or even just relate to some aspect of the story/question/problem. More and more lately, I have been feeling that I am a rare brand of breastfeeder. The -eh- breastfeeder if you will. I am not 100% or 0% about it. I am more like 55%. When my doctor would ask if I was going to breastfeed, I always said that I was going to try. She always seemed kinda put off by that answer and now I see why. Breastfeeders have a bit of a reputation for being overly entusiatic about the feeding method they choose. Sorry if this offends but I feel as if the articles I read about breastfeeding are all about the protests, or the declaration of rights, or the rebellion of somekind.

This article was the most recent one I read:

I just have to ask myself; who is this mother really fighting for? Did she even consider how her 8 year old feels? I know Isaac would be mortified. I mean there are 85 people scheduled to show up for this event. And now the Facebook page is just an entire debate on breastfeeding. I am sure they are not going to change anyones mind on breastfeeding by doing this 'nurse-in'. The mother AND the teacher should have just had more respect for each other and did a little communicating about the issue. Boom.
Problem averted. 

I also feel that if you are not about breastfeeding your child till they self ween, then you are cast out of the breastfeeding circle. As if my six months of breastfeeding that I hope to accomplish is less important or not even worth it at all. And then add in the baby wearing, and co-sleeping, and cloth diapers... AHH! All of a sudden, I am a worthless mother.   

I have always been a passive person. I don't bother you as long as you don't bother me. If you want to breastfeed your kid in public, then do so. If you want to breastfeed till three years of age, then do so. If you do not want to breastfeed at all, then don't do so. I really do not have an opinion either way because while I know the pros and cons of breastfeeding, who am I to sway your opinion one way or the other?

Are there any other -eh- breastfeeders out there? The ones who breastfeed because it was cheap, easy, and good for your little nugget? Who may or may not be comfortable enough to feed in public but wouldn't want to make anyone else uncomfortable either? Who see these protests a little unnecessary and extreme? 

Can I be considered a breastfeeder without choosing a side? 

No comments:

Post a Comment